I won a prize! – a gift basket full of literary goodies from author, Diane Noble. I have been trying to get familiar with some of the great Christian authors out there and just recently discovered her. I love butterflies and her new book, “The Butterfly Farm” has recently captured my fancy.
While exploring her website I found something well worth contemplating on her blog. She posted an excerpt from Ralph Waldo Emerson’s, “Treasures from the Sanctuary of the Spirit”. Here she asked “What would I do differently if I could live my life over again?” I thought I’d respond to it here.
TREASURES FROM THE SANCTUARY FOR THE SPIRIT
To laugh often and love much,
To win the respect of intelligent persons and
the affection of children;
To hear the approbation of honest critics
And to endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
To give one’s self;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
and sung with exultation;
To know even one life has breathed easier because
you have lived
This is to have succeeded.
–Ralph Waldo Emerson
Here’s my list . . .
- I would smile more.
- I would have a better sense of humor.
- I would have not second guessed those God promptings.
- I would rest more. (Physically, spiritually, emotionally.)
- I would go to bed earlier, and wake up earlier. (Can a nocturnal creature like me alter their habits?)
- I would take time to nurture myself a little bit more.
- I would enjoy God’s Creation more often.
- I would capture more snowflakes.
- I would sit under more rainbows.
- I would climb more mountains.
- I would be less reluctant.
- I would be more confident.
- I would be less reclusive.
- I would have been published by now.
- I would have pursued my dreams sooner.
- I would not be so hard on myself.
I would, you know! And maybe I will!!!!