Here are three recipes for Swedish Lace Cookies that I am going to experiment with. These delicious cookies bake up thin and delicate, scented with Cardamom or other favorite spices or flavorings. I love them partially dipped or edged with melted dark or white chocolate, or with the chocolate pressed between two cookies. Serve them at tea or with a fruity sorbet.
|SWEDISH LACE COOKIES
- 1 c. butter
- 2 c. quick oats
- 6 tbsp. sifted flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Melt and stir butter, sugar and oats in heavy pan.
- Remove from heat. Add dry ingredients and stir well.
- Stir in eggs. (Wait a bit if too hot.)
- Drop onto FOIL – LINED cookie sheets, about 3 inches apart (they spread!).
- Bake at 375 degrees about 8 minutes. Watch carefully, they burn QUICKLY.
|SWEDISH LACE COOKIES
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup bran flakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium mixing bowl stir together bran, flour, cardamom, ginger, baking powder and baking soda. Add to syrup mixture with vanilla. Mix well and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls about 2½-inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until light brown. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
5. Frost if desired.
Makes 36 cookies.
|SWEDISH OATMEAL LACE
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour baking sheets.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add rest of ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir briskly for a few strokes. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 4 inches apart on well-greased and floured baking sheet.
- Bake only 5-6 cookies at a time. Bake for about 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool wafers for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove carefully with spatula and place over rolling pin, glass, or mug so they curl and become firm. If cookies harden before they can be removed from cookie sheet, reheat in oven again a few seconds to soften.
- Note: Do one test to check oven temp and quantity of batter. The bigger the cookie, the more fragile. Use 1/2 tsp for test.